Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"Blogging For Books"- Book 1

So, as I have described before, my sister-in-law told me about this program called "Blogging for Books" and I have decided to take advantage of it. Blogging for Books provide me a free book of my choice in exchange for a review of that book that I post on my blog as well as on a retail site.

The first book I chose to read was Tandem by Tracey Bateman. To be honest when I looked at my choices of books I wasn't too thrilled. This is a Christian publisher which is definitely not my style. However, I love to read and Tandem was the book I chose. I was not disappointed. When I read the back cover, I thought I was getting a murder mystery wrapped around characters dealing with family drama. However, I got a vampire book. It was well done, especially as that genre is so over done these days. It was different than every other vampire book. It isn't a sappy love story of desperation and complete unrelatabilty. The love felt in this book is real, all the ugly bits included.

The storyline was easy to follow, but not predictable. I found out at the end it is actually the second book of a series. I like that I couldn't tell, really.

The only thing I didn't like was the dark Christian undertones. The self destuction due to a characteristic that is contradictory to the Christian ideals of good and bad are disturbing. Also, the end of the book, where the character discovers God is extremely weak and seemed like an after thought.

I recommend this book for anyone who has become disgusted with the cheesy vampire books and wants a reminder that this genre can be good. I recommend this book for anyone who wants a quick and easy read as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment